For many adults with a smile they don’t have confidence in showing, it’s time to see an orthodontist in Roxborough. While orthodontic care can help to straighten teeth and improve the health of a patient’s smile, many adults don’t feel comfortable or confident in getting braces.
Even though braces are most often recommended during childhood or early adolescence, adults are also getting braces more frequently than ever before. In fact, over 20 percent of patients undergoing orthodontic care today are adults.
If you believe you could benefit from seeing an orthodontist in Roxborough, it’s better to start undergoing treatment now rather than later. Let’s take a look at a few of the signs that you might need braces and the advantages of what treatment can offer.
What are the Signs I May Need Braces?
The signs that adults may need to receive orthodontic care can vary based on their age and their overall oral health.
Symptoms that can indicate a need for orthodontic care can include:
- Teeth that appear visibly crooked or crowded
- Trouble flossing around or between crooked or crowded teeth
- Frequently cutting your tongue or biting your tongue with your teeth
- Teeth that fail to properly close over each other when your mouth is at rest
- Trouble making certain types of sounds due to the tongue’s position under your teeth
- Clicking sounds from the jaw when chewing
- Fatigued or stressed jawline following chewing
Cosmetically, orthodontic care can also make a patient’s smile look its best. Many patients can feel self-conscious about the appearance of their smiles due to crooked or crowded teeth. This can cause self-doubt that can make it more challenging to achieve their personal and professional goals.
After undergoing orthodontic care, patients will not only feel better, their oral health will also look better, providing them the confidence they need.
When Should I See a Dentist?
The idea that only kids go through orthodontic care is an outdated concept that no longer matches the reality of the type of treatment patients can now receive.
For some people, orthodontic treatment as a child was just not a possibility. Whether due to the cost, inconvenience, or never being told they need braces, many patients never had the opportunity to receive the care that could revitalize the health of their smiles.
While you’re never too old to undergo orthodontic treatment, that doesn’t mean you should put off receiving care. As you continue to age, the jaw continues to grow, which can lead to increased crowding or a narrowing of your teeth. Waiting to treat an overbite or crooked teeth does nothing to improve your oral health as neither problem will correct itself.
The sooner you contact an orthodontist in Roxborough, the quicker you can start enjoying a smile you can have confidence in showing.
What if I Don’t Want Braces?
For many adult patients, the idea of wearing metal braces is a deal breaker when it comes to whether they should undergo orthodontic care. The stigma of having a “metal mouth” can discourage adults from getting braces, especially those who want to be taken more seriously in the workplace. Fortunately, orthodontic care has advanced to where patients can now receive care quickly and discreetly.
At Roxborough Family Dental, we offer Invisalign. Unlike traditional braces that use metal brackets and wires to straighten a patient’s smile, Invisalign uses clear plastic aligners to gradually reposition a patient’s teeth into the desired position.
When compared to metal braces, Invisalign offers a number of advantages that include:
- Discreet orthodontic care. Unlike metal braces that stand out, Invisalign clear plastic aligners blend seamlessly into the natural complexion of a patient’s smile. Invisalign’s aligners are so hard to notice that most people will never know you’re undergoing treatment.
- Improved comfort. The metal brackets and wires used with traditional braces can pinch and poke the delicate tissue inside of a patient’s mouth. Invisalign’s aligners sit comfortably over your teeth and don’t require regular tightening and adjustments that can cause discomfort.
- Eat what you want. Patients who wear metal braces must give up certain types of foods that could damage their orthodontic appliance. With Invisalign, patients can easily remove their orthodontic device while eating so they can continue to enjoy their favorite foods throughout their treatment.
- Fewer office visits. With metal braces, patients must make monthly visits to see their orthodontist have their appliance readjusted and tightened to keep their treatment on track. With Invisalign, patients simply replace their aligner every one to two weeks.
Why wait any longer to get the straighter, healthier looking smile you’ve been dreaming of? Contact our office today to schedule your FREE consultation with Roxborough orthodontist Dr. Niepraschk and you’ll be smiling with confidence in no time.